Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Apple and Kale Spice Muffins


Apple and Kale Spice Muffins  Rating: 8

These muffins run approximately 200 calories each and they are not overly heavy but they are filling.

I have made these a few different times.  Sometimes with apple, sometimes with carrot, sometimes with apple and carrot, but always with kale.  They are tasty.  There is a ton of veggie goodness in there but they are sweet because of the carrots or apple (keep those peels on!) and the honey and dried fruit (I just use raisins).  Yep, no refined sugars.  Whole grain goodness too.  I go heavy on the cinnamon and nutmeg. 

This is a good on catch-all, mix-things-up recipe.  Yogurt instead of milk, all a pinch of cloves if you want, spinach instead of kale, zucchini if you want, cranberries instead of raisins, add ground flax, add nuts or not.  Whatever!  Get funky!
Just look at the obscene amount of kale that got shoved into 12 muffins!  I added the apple in this photo for scale.  I just finely chop that kale in my food processor so there's no "chunkage" or leafy issues in the finished product.  Can you believe you and your child is going to get that many greens in them.  Believe it!
Now add a packed cup and a half of grated carrot on top of that!  You are a super star!

Some finely chopped nuts for protein and omega 3s.  Raisins for sweetness, not to mention fiber.

Tah-dah! With some fruit and some cheese, you have a lunch or breakfast that is quick, yummy, and nutritious.  I love getting veggies before I even leave the house.  The muffins are a nice snack as well.

Check out 365 Days of Kale.  She is a kale maniac!  I love what she ends up doing with it and we have plenty of it growing in our garden to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment