Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Squash and Swiss Chard Quiche with Brown Rice Crust


Zucchini and Swiss Chard Quiche with Brown Rice Crust Rating: 8

The quiche was inspired by this tart but I used another recipe and added most of her fillers in. I also opted for a brown rice crust that I saw used at Closet Cooking.

Brown Rice Crust  Rating: 8

First we made the crust. It is super easy--three ingredients. Just switch up the 1/4 cup grated cheese to whatever type you are using in the quiche.  It is a nice whole grain option that is quick and provides a nice base.  Great way to use up leftover rice.


Basic Quiche  Rating: 8

I used this recipe but altered it to 3 eggs and 1 1/2 cups half and half to accommodate approximately 3 cups of yummy add-ins as one commenter suggested.  I used 3 oz. each of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.  In a bit of olive oil I sauteed up two medium Mexican gray squash, very thinly sliced, and a bunch of Swiss chard, chopped, with 3 large cloves of garlic, minced, and approximately 2 tsp. each of fresh thyme and rosemary, chopped.  I baked it 5 minutes longer than recommended with great results.

It was really good and I think a nice splash of lemon or a spoonful of salsa on top would be nice too.  It did well for leftovers the next day for lunch.  Served it up with hummus and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment