Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Coconut Rice with Black Beans, Plantains, and Mango Salsa


Coconut Rice with Black Beans, Plantains, and Mango Salsa  Rating: 9

Three words. Caribbean. Comfort. Food.  This was great and super easy!  This was our first time using a plantain thanks to our co-op produce.  If you are unfamiliar with plantains, they are sold next to the bananas and tropical fruits.  They are larger than a banana, less sweet, and starchier. 

The avocado was a nice touch but I think it would have been good without it, too.  I say this because my dear sister-in-law is deathly allergic to them.  Isn't that weird!  She has to carry an epipen just in case she has exposure.  She's a special person.  What can I say?

Back to the food.  I did not use the jalapeno in the salsa only because I did not have a fully ready one waiting to be picked from our garden. 

I could eat this often.  It was fresh, but a bit sweet, and totally satisfying.  Great first experience with plantains.

No comments:

Post a Comment