Monday, September 17, 2012

Carmelized Squash Salad with Pistachios


Caramelized Squash Salad with Pistachios and Goat Cheese  Rating: 7

We had several baby butternut squash from our garden and after enjoying their cuteness for some time, it was time to massacre them and ingest them.  Look how cute and little!
I chose this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens October 2012 issue.  They have several squash recipes but this one looked easy and fresh.  I omitted the optional goat cheese only because I am trying to cut down on dairy and animal based foods in general. 

It was still a good salad.  Very mellow but not bland. I bought radicchio for the first time and was wary when I tasted this bitter lettuce on its own.  But when mixed in the salad, it was just right--a good contrast to the sweetness of the squash and the citrus of the dressing.  Still, we did not feel this salad was anything special.  Served it with cornbread because, well, I am admittedly on a cornbread kick.

I LOVE squash so you will probably see more recipes as the season progresses and even beyond since it stores so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment