Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Make Your Own Baking Powder

So, we ran out of baking powder and I promised myself I would not buy more until I made the trip to a particular Walmart that carries Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder.  Some people prefer not to use baking powder with aluminum because they believe it gives food a vaguely metallic taste, and because of speculations on the connection between aluminum intake and diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.  I just don't want it in there because, as far as I know, I don't need aluminum to function (i.e., copper). 

I needed more baking powder before I was going to make that trip out to that store so I looked it up and guess what?!  Yep, you can easily make an aluminum-free baking powder at home with items I have in my pantry.  There are suggested ratios on the Internet but they all contain cream of tartar (which I have on hand for making play dough) and baking soda.  That's all you need if you plan to use it right away.  If you want some in the pantry, and I do, then most add corn starch or arrowroot powder.

Homemade Baking Powder

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment