Friday, January 13, 2012

Bircher Muesli with Prunes

Did you know that January is also National Prune Breakfast Month?!  There's been quite a stir at all the senior living facilities! No, really, if you can get past the association of old people and regularity, prunes, or dried plums (as they would prefer us to call them now) are yummy.
I picked a muesli because I've never had it before and since I have embraced oatmeal, I thought this might have a chance too.

Bircher Muesli with Prunes  Rating 8

In all honesty, Neal gave this a 7 because he thought it was a touch too sweet.  I am overruling that and giving it an 8 because I lean toward sweet things and would definitely make it again.  And besides, I primarily maintain this blog, so there.  You decide what you want to do.

I put this together at night planning to have it the next morning, but Neal decided he wanted to reclaim the kitchen and made tasty mushroom, spinach, and feta omelets instead.  Good thing it stays for up to three days in the fridge. 

So we had it the second day and it was good. The prunes did not overpower it and gave a nice sweet-light tang along with the apple juice.  It had more texture than oatmeal because of the seeds and steel cut oats but it wasn't crunchy either.  A quick and healthy make-ahead breakfast for those hectic mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment