Saturday, January 7, 2012

Curing Gout

We started this blog as a way to not only share our recipes with you but to also help everyone who is interested live more natural lives.

In the last 15 months I have had 3 gout attacks in my right big toe, the first one in the fall of 2010 surprised me because it was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life.  I thought I had broken a toe or something worse.  I went to the doctor and they told me it was gout.  He prescribed some meds and told me not to take them for more than 4 days.  After I completed the meds the pain subsided but did not completely go away for about 2 weeks. 

My second gout attack occurred in October of 2011, this one concerned me because we had changed our diet drastically.  This time it went to see 2 doctors over a 3 week period, took 2 different drugs and had a steroid shot before the pain subsided enough that it did not bother me on a daily basis.

Right after New Years I got another attack.  The doctors had previously said if I keep getting flareups they were putting me on a daily medicine to reduce gout flareups.  I was not on board with this.  So I took to the Internet to find a natural cure.  Page after page people swore of the benefits for Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and its benefits for gout.  I called Keri and sent her to Whole Foods to buy me some Braggs ACV with Mother.

At lunch I drank 1 Tbsp ACV mixed with 1 Tbsp Honey and 8oz of water, by 3pm I was already feeling better.  I did it again when I got home from work and by the time I went to bed I could walk without pain.  This morning my gout is about 80% better and I expect to be pain free before the weekend ends with continued ACV drinks.

So why does ACV cure gout?  from gout-aware.com I learned the following;

"Apple Cider Vinegar contributes to the breaking down of food in the body, it prevents harmful bacteria from multiplying, aids respiratory infections, sore throats, nasal discharges, it aids blood purification and circulation.

Also maintains the health of the Kidneys and Bladder.

It is full of pectin ( attaches to cholesterol globules ) and minerals, vitamins and beta-carotene ( fights free radicals and helps cells rejuvenate ) , carbolic acids, ketones potassium
( removes excess water and toxic waste and helps regulate bloodpressure ) malic acid and acetic acid ( fights fungal infection and relieves painful joints )
The Malic acid also dissolves deposits of Uric Acid and helps push them out of the body.

The amino acids present, act as antibiotics and as an antiseptic and reduce toxicity in the body.

If combined with centella ( Gotu Kola ) is extremely helpful and known for its Arthritic healing benefits."

No comments:

Post a Comment