Friday, January 13, 2012

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

In celebration of National Oatmeal Month, here is another oatmeal dish that may improve your opinion of this unherelded breakfast grain.  The meal was easy to put together in the morning, as long as I prepped the night before (grated carrots, measured and dumped spices into a small container).  It was delicious and Sophie said, "This is my most favorite, Mommy!" 

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Rating 8

I don't know if I poured in too much milk (I was a little groggy this morning) but I had to stir it for an additional 3 minutes for my preferred consistency. 

It was super creamy for all the coconut cream in it (fattening but a healthy fat source) which I gleaned from the Blackberry Coconut Oatmeal Bake I spotlighted earlier this month.  It felt quite decadent, even as reheated leftovers.  Great way to get another veggie in your day before you even leave the house.  I'll be making it again.  I might even add a touch of crushed pineapple to it, for that was an indispensable ingredient in my mom's carrot cake.

Here's to oatmeal!

Update (21 Jan 2012): The Carrot Cake Oatmeal = 375 calories per 1/4 recipe serving.  This with about 1/4 cup crushed pineapple added, 3 Tbsp. coconut cream (versus 2), and 1/4 cup more oats added, and 1/4 cup walnuts (versus 2 Tbsp.).  I would give this a solid 9 because I want to eat it over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment