Thursday, January 5, 2012

Today is Bean Day!--Four Recipes

No, really!  It is National Bean Day in the good ol' U.S. of A.  I have a suspicion that it is always on the eve of Flatulence Day.  But remember beans are good for you (see here).  In fact this is the sixth post of our young blog and four of those posts have included legumes in some way.  To have fun with this food holiday I served beans all day long! 
We started the morning with Southwestern Tofu Scramble (Rating: 8) which I have made several times since our move to healthier eating.  It's quick and a great way to get protein and veggies in before your day even gets going. Served it with a bit of salsa.

I'd say this is a pretty safe way to introduce yourself to tofu if you haven't.  The seasoning is nice.  Don't think "eggs" when you put it in your mouth because it is not.  Think, "I am eating something new (tofu) and my mouth gets to explore!"

For lunch we had basic Black Bean Quesadillas--corn tortillas, black beans, corn, onion, cheddar.  With a bit of full fat sour cream.  Easy, quick, yum.
Dinner was a new dish for us.  We ate Italian Sausage and White Beans (Rating: 10).  Yes, our first 10 rating for the blog!  Woohoo!  We all gobbled it up.

We used some chicken and basil sausage we had in the freezer from Sprouts.  I also only used 2 links because that's what we had, we tend to use meat more as a condiment and we had plenty of bean protein this day. Also I used fire-roasted tomatoes because I love myself that much, slipped about a cup of finely chopped kale in because it was our only leafy green today, and used my homemade vegetable stock instead of chicken/wine.. Super yummy and easy! 
And dessert! What?!  You put beans in your dessert?!  Yes! Yes! Yes!  I've done it once before in some awesome pumpkin sesame cookies and again tonight in our Chocolate-Chip Blondies (Rating:8) from Chocolate Covered Katie.  We used dark chocolate chips.  They were best when completely cooled and did not taste like beans.  Neal didn't even know they had beans in them until I told him.  They were not overly sweet or decadent and for a healthier blondie Neal and I were both pleased. I wanted to up the chocolate chips but I always want to do that.

She has some fun recipes I'd like to try because I like sweets and hers always have a twist, like beans.  Her recipes are healthy but often high calorie because Katie need to keep weight on, not lose it.  So beware if you are trying to drop pounds.

Anyway, it was a fun, fiber filled day and if you know what is good for you, you won't be coming by our house tomorrow as we "reap the rewards" of celebrating Bean Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment