Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Beet and Carrot Pancakes with Creamy Yogurt and Avocado, Orange, and Kohlrabi Salad



These were surprisingly good.  They were naturally earthy but sweet and the yogurt sauce was creamy with just enough zing.  Also, they looked rustic but were beautiful for their color.

They were a cinch to make.  Grate carrots and beets (raw, not peeled, just scrubbed) in the food processor and toss with the few remaining ingredients.  She is not kidding about the cooking spray.  The sauce rocked Neal's world and it was so easy.  I used dried dill instead of fresh.  Served it with this salad.


What is Kohlrabi? 
We picked these up at the farmer's market as our "new item to try."  I knew what they were from a friend showing me them in his garden back in high school and I knew they were in the broccoli-cabbage family. 

They were a pain in the rear to peel (I'm not to skilled with a knife and I have a scab on my thumb right now to prove it).  Anyhow, Neal really liked them in the salad and I thought they were a bit to fibrous, even grated.  I have to give kohlrabi another try because we have a "try it at least twice rule" in case we had a bad batch, a crappy recipe, or lack of skill in preparing a new item.  Neal rated the salad a bit higher as is but we typically post the lower score.  I'd make this salad again for sure but maybe with broccoli slaw.  I think I would give it an 8 then.  The dressing is just right and we love avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment