Monday, June 18, 2012

Waste Not, Want Not - Freezing Ginger


I like ginger and it has great benefits so I am so bummed when it rots in my fridge.  In the past I tried to buy just what I needed but small pieces can be hard to peel and grate without injury.  Large pieces just end up rotting in my fridge as I forget about them. 

I read it somewhere on the web and now buy a good chunk of ginger, peel it, and toss the unused portion in my freezer.  Then I just take it out and grate it frozen and although my fingers feel the bite of the cold, it grates like a dream!  Easier than when raw.  You can use it in your recipe immediately.  Then I just toss the rest back in the freezer until I need it again.  Hope this saves you a bit of money and frustration some day.

I also use up ginger by slicing it thin and simmering it in filtered water.  Fish out the slices and pour it into a pitcher to stay cool in the fridge.  It's a nice way to enjoy water and you get the anti-inflammatory benefits of ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment