Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sweet and Tangy Meatballs on Brown Rice with Grated Raw Beet Salad


Sweet and Tangy Meatballs  Rating: 8

This was a freezer/slow cooker meal I prepared with several other options one super woman day.  It is not a particularly healthy option because even if you use all fruit spread and sauce free of high fructose corn syrup, it is still loaded in sugars.  But sometimes bad feels oh so good.  And it did.

The meatballs I used were homemade and turkey.  I use this recipe when I want to make a big batch for a few freezer meals or just to keep a stash in the freezer.  I always seem to get more than the 20 meatballs.  I use a cookie dough scooper to help me make them and they are pretty wet and loose but come out just fine. They are perfect for a quick add in to spaghetti, soups, or pastas.

Turkey Meatballs  Rating: 8

We served it all over brown rice and with this salad on the side.  Add yes, this is the last of the beets from the farmer's market.  I'm sure some of you are quite relieved.

Grated Raw Beet Salad  Rating: 8

I tweaked it a bit.  First off, I just give the beets a good scrubbing and keep the peel on if I'm grating.  I used OJ from concentrate and added 1 tsp. orange zest.  I also added a good pinch of ground cumin.  Didn't bother to serve it on a lettuce leaf because, although I had them and it would have been pretty, I was feeling lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment