Monday, February 6, 2012

Andy's Cranberry Apple Pie with Walnut Crumb Topping


Our local library has a copy of Apple Pie Perfect: 100 Delicious and Decidedly Different Recipes for America's Favorite Pie by Ken Haedrich and this is the first of his pie recipes we have done but we have many others bookmarked. 


You'll have to hunt down the recipe yourself due to copyright laws.  The directions were easy to follow and produced a good pie.  We used only Jonigold apples because they were on special this week and are a decent baking apple.  We made our usual substitutions of demerara sugar for the regular granulated sugar and whole wheat for all-purpose flour.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the crumb topping was overly generous.  The cranberries made for a pretty pink slice.

If you are wondering where I found cranberries now that the holidays are over, I freeze them.  Lots of them.  They are easily added into the recipe straight from the freezer.

I did use my preferred whole wheat pie crust recipe: Giddy Gabby's Single 9" Whole Wheat Pastry Shell (Rating: 10), despite the irksome name.  It always produces a wonderful crust and now that we have a food processor, it is quick to create.  This crust can also be used for savory quiches and the like.
We made it to share with company and this is what was left the next day.  Honestly, I know that is mostly due to my addiction to sweets.  But we and our friends gave it an 8 so there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment