Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baked Beans - The Healthy Foodie Version


Baked Beans - The Healthy Foodie Version  Rating: 8

These baked beans interested me because they had no lard or bacon and were sweetened with apple and what the creator claims is a reduced amount of molasses.  I have very little experience making baked beans.  Except for the past year, they have always come from a can in our house.

These were very good and I'd make them again.  The maker of this recipe suggest adding water as needed and I would add water a little more frequently than she suggested so the beans stay moist and the skins a touch more tender.  They were still super sweet which is what I want when I eat baked beans. 

We cooked them in a Dutch oven in the oven as directed but I'm sure this can be moved into the slow cooker as well.  While they were cooking, visitors continued to comment on the wonderful scent.

We teamed them up with green salad and corn on the cob and called it dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment