Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Asparagus Salad with Egg and Orange Rosemary Focaccia



Asparagus is super cheap right now and I love it.  The recipe that I used was originally for string beans but it worked great with the asparagus.  I just blanched it in boiling water for a couple minutes, drained it and ran cold water over it before tossing in the rest of the ingredients and dressing.  It was a simple, fresh salad with good flavor and paired well with the focaccia.

Orange Rosemary Focaccia  Rating: 8


This was so much easier to make than I thought it would be.  I used this whole wheat focaccia recipe as the bread base and mixed 2 Tbsp. of chopped fresh rosemary into the dough instead of jalapenos and cilantro.  After letting it rise for an hour, I slathered 1-1 1/2 Tbsp.olive oil and the toppings from this recipe on the dough before popping it in the oven.  I decided to look into focaccia done with oranges when we received an incredible amount of citrus with our co-op produce order this week. 

By the way zest your well washed, fungal free lemons and oranges before peeling to eat.  The zest stores well in your freezer and can be thrown directly into recipes from the freezer.  Use it in stir fries, pancakes, muffins, muesli, dressings, or whatever else sounds good to you.

It looked lovely, had good texture and flavor, and smelled great.

I will certainly be using the whole wheat focaccia recipe as our Go-To Foccacia (Rating: 8) and continue to play with mix-ins and toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment