Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pickle Soup

Pickle What?  Oh, yeah, you heard me--Pickle Soup.  I checked out Anna Thomas' Love Soup from our local library and bookmarked a bunch of recipes, including this intriguing soup.  My mom has used pickle in dinner dishes on occasion so I knew it wasn't too weird for me.  I know that briny taste is a nice surprise for your mouth, if done well. 

Pickles aren't just a hamburger topping, you know?!  In truth, I had a botched batch of dill pickles that came out somewhat mushy due to my home canning inexperience and this was a great way to use them without the texture issue sabotaging the dish.

Pickle Soup  (exact recipe as in her book but online) Rating: 8

1/10 of a recipe = approximately 160 calories

Served this up with some oven warmed roasted garlic bread found on the discount rack.  Neal liked the flavor and the variety of vegetables.  I liked the flavor too.  If you do make this, let the pickles do their thing during the simmering process so you don't make the mistake of adding more pickle juice too early.  It mellows somewhat over time.  We noticed it was milder the next day when we had it for lunch.  The Pickle Soup was really hearty.  This makes a ton and does freeze according to the author.

One jar of botched pickles down, 5 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment