Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

I love sneaking healthy foods into meals, snacks, and treats for my family.  When my son glugs down a berry smoothie, I want to throw my head back and produce one of those evil laughs (much like Ursula does in Disney's The Little Mermaid), knowing I have slipped in some kale or spinach or whatever!

I do it all the time--kale in muffins, squash in oatmeal, flax in yogurt, spinach in smoothies, tofu on pizza, and too many to list in spaghetti sauce.  I feel like a freakin' evil genius!

Anyway, you've seen me slip protien packed beans into desserts and smoothies before, so of course I would make these brownies!

Black Bean Brownies  Rating: 3

We actually shared these with four other adults and the ratings were all over the place but never above 7.  It's chocolatey but you can taste beans and the texture is wierd.  The texture is what really bothered most people and none of them finished the brownie which, might I add, was small to begin with.

I did use raw sugar and instead of 3 eggs, I used 2 with a chia egg.  A chia egg is 1 Tbsp. chia seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp. water, give it 10-15 minutes to do it's thing and you have a omega-high gelatinus goop that serves as an egg. 

The kids ate these up but that, my friends, is inexperience at its best.  And until they gain more culinary experience, I will continue to slip healthy foods in any way I can.  Bwahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment