Monday, February 6, 2012

Red Lentil Dal with Roasted Onions and Gobhi Paratha

Neal likes Indian food and so I am trying to lean in that direction more.  One of our friends, Jess, gave us a simple recipe for red lentil dal that Neal really likes.  I like it too, especially because it's a breeze to whip up.  We served it with Gobhi Paratha, a cauliflower stuffed bread.

Red Lentil Dal with Roasted Onions  Rating: 9
3 Servings

Ingredients
2 1/2 - 3 cups vegetables broth
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 cup red lentils
2 medium onions, sliced in to rings
olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Scatter onions on a baking sheet, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and toss.  Roast them in the oven for 30-40 min., checking and stirring occassionally, unitl soft and browned. 

In the meantime, in a medium pot, bring vegetable broth and curry powder to a boil, add red lentils, simmer for 15 minutes (or until lentils are to your desired tenderness), stir occasionally.

Spoon some into a bowl and top with roasted onions.


Gobhi Parantha (Cauliflower Stuffed Bread) Rating: 5

These are definitely best served warm with yogurt.  We like bread.  We like cauliflower.  We did not like or dislike these.  The ajwain seeds are pungent and I would probably leave them out next time and double the cumin instead.  But I got them cheap at an Indian food store so I have lots of them now.  Oh well. 

My kids, on the other hand love bread and ate them up.  Love veggies in disguise. 

I really like the lady, Manjula, and that she provides a video to her recipes.  I actually felt calm and had fun while making her stuffed cauliflower bread because I knew what to look for due to her video.  This, despite, having the heat too high and burning my oil a bit, setting off the smoke alarms repeatedly, which might I add, did not happen in her video.  Hmmm.  Luckily, Neal had just gotten home and was available to air out the house while I finished up.  I am going to try more of her recipes and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment