Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kung Pao Tofu on Rice

I have been on a Chinese food take-out kick lately.  I even told Neal I was interested in buying those dried red chiles they put in some of the spicier dishes.  Next time we were at the grocery store he suddenly appear next to me with a container of them and a big smile.  If you follow our blog, you know he prefers his meals spicier.

For the Kung Pao Tofu, I really combined two recipes, said a quick prayer, and started cooking hoping all would go well.

I wanted all the flavors and feel of Helen Chen's Kung Pao Chicken but I wanted to use tofu in our attempt to eat soy about once a week, and really up the veggies.  Thus, I took a peek at Eating Well's recipe too.

I used the sauce from Helen Chen's recipe and it all came together except it was a total and complete YAWN.  The heat was just right with two chiles but we kept waiting for flavor to appear and it never happened.  Thank goodness for the occasional yum added by a peanut here and there.

Kung Pao Tofu Minus the Pow  Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment