Thursday, February 2, 2012

Too Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole

I really liked the cabbage rolls my mom made when I was little.  I think it happened 2-3 times in my life--4 tops!  I don't feel the need to package the meaty mixture in a cabbage leaf.  It seems tedious. It's all going to get chewed up and look like slop anyway.  So that is where I decided to start--a casserole.  By the looks of it, I'd say it's a pretty accurate description.
I actually combined two recipes to get what I thought I might want.  I was right, of course. 

Too Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole   Rating: 9

1/6 of recipe = 210 calories

Ingredients
4 cups cabbage, shredded
1 lb. turkey, ground
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup rice
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (we used demerara sugar)
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano, dried

Method
Place cabbage in a lightly greased 2.5 casserole dish.

In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the turkey, onion, celery, and bell pepper until turkey is no longer pink.  Add the uncooked rice and stir to incorporate.

Place turkey mixture over the cabbage in the casserole dish.

To make the sauce combine all remaining ingredients and pour over the turkey mixture.

Cover and bake for 60-70 minutes or until rice is cooked. 


We loved the sweet and tangy sauce.  My kids ate it up and asked for seconds.  My husband, when he heard I was making this, expressed his concern over possible texture issues with cooked cabbage.  He gave it a 9 and then I saw him sneak another bite from the casserole dish.  It was great and met my childhood expectations and then some.  Served it up with a nice green salad and herb dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment