Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Apple Dutch Baby with Green Chiles -- How Texans Celebrate Pancake Day!

Today is Pancake Day and I decided to make a Apple Dutch Baby, also known as a German pancake, for the first time.  It's good to shake things up every now and then.  I even went with a spiced up version to push my boundaries on spiciness since I often fear it.

Apple Dutch Baby with Green Chiles  Rating: 10

Why hasn't anyone told me about Dutch Babies?!  It's times like these I realize my mother never loved me. (Just kidding, Mom!--if you ever read this, which is unlikely...sniff, sniff)  Before I go and set up that counseling appointment, let me finish...

It was so yum!  Rich, warm heat, apple cinnamon syrupiness (I just made that word), like a giant pancake of love.  The sweet and spicy combo was great. I was so pleased with myself for using the jalapeno (and not obsessively cutting out the hot membranes).  Would do it again in a jiffy (except for the part when I touched my face even hours after handling the peppers -- yikes! Lesson learned).  I even forgot to give it a squeeze of lemon before shoveling it into my mouth.  I know that would have been a nice touch but it will have to wait for next time.

It was beautiful coming out of the oven but started to fall even as I was sprinkling (pouring?) on the powdered sugar, which was expected.  This was an easy recipe that had a good showman factor for company. 

My kids even ate it happily but they both mentioned the heat from the chile.  Sophie upon almost finishing her second serving said, "It's a little bit spicy." and Rhys at the end of his second serving, touched his mouth and announced, "Ow."

I did make changes: 3 Tbsp. instead of 4 Tbsp. of butter, 3 Tbsp. demerara sugar instead of 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon instead of 1/4 tsp., whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.  I used the Granny Smith apples and they were perfect for this.  You could use Rome or any firm-tart apple though.

I hear you can refrigerate the pancake and reheat it in the oven for 10-15 minutes but haven't tried it.  Now that I know about Dutch Babies, it would be hard not to gobble it up as soon as it left the oven anyway.

Can't wait to see what other variations I can try in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment